Debian 3.0 CDRs

Sam Couter sam at topic.com.au
Thu Aug 8 14:03:32 EST 2002

Alfred <alfred at mazuma.net.au> wrote:
> At the risk of being flamed I would like to add a con to using Debian.
> When I installed it (eventually, the boot disks kepts segfaulting during
> install...) it was a bare system. To get Xfree 4.0 (for GL support) and
> KDE 2.2 to run was a major exercise, with lots of hacking of apt config
> files to make it work. In the end I gave up and reinstalled Mandrake...

I won't flame you, but...

If you were using dselect and/or aptitude and/or deity or some other
frontend to APT, you might have had an easier time.

But, using APT:

apt-get update && apt-get install x-window-system kde

You shouldn't have had to touch APT config files once you've specified
which archives it should use.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at topic.com.au
Internet Engineer   |  jabber:sam at jabber.topic.com.au
tSA Consulting      |  http://www.topic.com.au/