ppp over ssh in windoze

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Wed Aug 7 13:57:44 EST 2002

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:10 pm, Sam Couter wrote:
> Grant Morphett <grant at gmorph.com> wrote:
> > Ok, I have googled and I searched the clug archives cause I have a
> > feeling this question has been answered before but I can't get a
> > definitive answer on whether you can run ppp over ssh from within windoze
> > the same way you can in linux.  I am fairly sure you can't but maybe
> > someone has hacked something to do it that I can't find.
>
> Don't do it:
>
> http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html
>
> My experience has shown that a PPP over SSH tunnel only works for a
> short time before becoming very unstable.
>
> Find another way, such as OpenVPN. All you need to do is write a TUN/TAP
> driver for Windows. :)
>
> http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/ports.html

There is of course also CIPE for Windows http://cipe-win32.sourceforge.net/

and Zebadee http://www.winton.org.uk/zebedee/

If you can ignore the website hype, there is an implementation that combines
Zebedee, GnuPG and VNC to provide a Windows connectivity suite.  See
http://eepatents.com/privaria/.

Rasjid.