Strange root login problem

Michael Smarsz Michael.Smarsz at transact.com.au
Wed Aug 7 12:30:49 EST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Brendan Henderson at Keogh's

>I have a problem with Mandrake Linux 8.2 in that I cannot log on with root
>and root password (login into X window it displays login failed).
>I can log in with a standard user account and then issue SU, enter root
>password and do root type stuff but not login to a standard root account.
>Any idea's.

You didn't happen to change the shell for the root user in /etc/passwd did you?  I know this effects Solaris, I've not been game to try it again.

It's a lesson you only ever have to learn once.

If you have recovery/rescue disks you are in luck, otherwise mount the drive in another linux host and edit the file back to normal.

Michael