ppp over ssh in windoze

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Wed Aug 7 00:30:49 EST 2002

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 8:30 pm, Grant Morphett wrote:
> Ok, I have googled and I searched the clug archives cause I have a feeling
> this question has been answered before but I can't get a definitive answer
> on whether you can run ppp over ssh from within windoze the same way you
> can in linux.  I am fairly sure you can't but maybe someone has hacked
> something to do it that I can't find.
>
> Any help much appreciated.

I know I had a brief look into this a while back.  It may have even been one
of the things that got me looking at Cygwin.

I know I did not persue it, although I can't quite remember why.  Was it not
possible, or just too hard?

I'm pretty sure the stumbling blocks were:
* Both ends of the link should be running the same version of ppp.
* It uses pty-redir to redirect the ppp stream to ssh (or something like
that).

My recent playing around with pty stuff with python suggests that pty support
under Cygwin is essentially non-existant.  As far as I can tell, everything
gets mapped to /dev/console, just to keep the programs that need a tty happy.
Other than that, it is largely ignored. (Cygwin experts are free to
contradict me.)

Rasjid.

PS.  I case anyone is interested, I have just got the pty library for python
working.  I am in the process of putting together a cross platform python
library for controlling ssh on Linux and plink (part of the putty suite) on
Windows.  The basics are available at
http://www.openminddev.net/twiki/bin/view/Main/PythonPage.