Health of Gnome vs KDE

Peter Lavender plaven at bigpond.net.au
Tue Aug 6 20:06:31 EST 2002

* Jason Stokes (jstok at bluedog.apana.org.au) wrote:

> Without wanting to start off the eternal Gnome vs KDE flame war, it
> seems most every user I hear from these days is using KDE.  Does anyone
> have any knowledge about the health of the Gnome project, and whether
> it's progressing healthily or not?

I really haven't followed the whole desktop thing in a while.  When I
first got X running I fiddled around with enlightenment and gnome and
really liked it..

But that was a few years back now.  Now I just want something that
works.  KDE for me now is slick and it does all I need.  So that's
what I use.

Applicaitons like evolution that uses the gnome libraries are also
available, so it's a case of best of both worlds.

I rarely use gnome, as I find it ugly to look at.  Unfortunately the
brushed metal theme hasn't been improved and the small fonts by
default are a pain to look at.

Yes I know these things are configurable.. but I don't want to muck
about for hours on end to have a usable environment.  Hence KDE is
what I use KDE's default setup was more saner than gnomes.

Regards,

Pete.

--
				Due to a lack of imagination,