pdnsd DNS server problem - looping

Jon Hale deb_jon at tpg.com.au
Tue Aug 6 11:21:27 EST 2002

*delurks*
Hi,

Do any of you people have experience using pdnsd (it's a proxy DNS server that
caches DNS hits to disk )?

Normally it works great, but every so often it goes into a psycho frenzy,
causing the blinkenlights on my modem to go crazy.

Sniffing the packets reveals:

2002-08-06
11:00:10.518988
203.194.29.31.53 > xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.1593
dY9 NXDomain 0/1/0 (1)
(DF)E@/q59myWatlantis$@AROOT-SERVERSNETNSTLDVERISIGN-GRSCOMwUR:Q
2002-08-06
11:00:10.520419
203.194.47.113.1607 > xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
I10+ A? atlantis. (&) (DF)E68@@/qG5"atlantis
etc... at length.

where xxx  is my IP address and 203.194.29.31:53 is the IP of my ISPs DNS.

This is a typical sniff, but it's not always identical to the above (excepting
IP addresses). I know diddly about networking so I can't understand what the
above means except on a basic level.

Normally this happens if I check email, do a ping, nslookup etc.. but not
<all> the time. Killing pdnsd stops the problem, and when I restart it,
everything is fine.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? I suspect I've
misconfigured something (I'm at the stage of the learning curve in Linux
where much of what I do is close my eyes, press return and hope for the
best). Even an explanation of what it is <doing> would be appreciated. My
guess is that it's repeatedly querying my ISP's DNS for something (which, if
it's looping, must be vexing to them).

Much appreciated
Jon.

--