Telstra ADSL

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 2 11:39:12 EST 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:28, Daniel McNamara wrote:
> Brad Hards wrote:
> | The STP wasn't an option for me, and I had to get it installed on my
> | laptop (which was the only dual boot machine I had). The PCMCIA network
> | card came in handy for other uses though...
>
> I'm a little confused here. Since the ADSL service is tied to your phone
> line why do you need it to "installed" on the laptop? If you had the STP
> in place it would always be connected and you could pop the laptop off
> and on the network easily (the STP also runs nicely as a DHCP server).
> But without knowing your reqs I suppose I might be a little off here.
I wasn't offered the STP. When I signed up, it was only the "home" model.

There was no self-install option - Telstra sent the boys around to
"fix" it for you. And they wouldn't approve my application unless
I had a windows box (for the PPPOE client). So the laptop
got booted into windows, they did the install (and the secret ftp
test :) and the laptop got reformatted.

--
http://conf.linux.org.au. 22-25Jan2003. Perth, Australia. Birds in Black.