Telstra ADSL

Howard Lowndes lannet at lannet.com.au
Fri Aug 2 08:36:39 EST 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Brad Hards wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 07:52, Emeles wrote:
> > Hi,
> >     It's going to take about a year for Transact to get to my suburb, so
> > I've been thinking
> > it might be a good idea to take up Telstra ADSL. Has any body had any
> > trouble with
> > them? would any one recommend them? is pppoe all I need, etc?
> I've had good success with Telstra ADSL. I regularly get 50kB/sec
> downloads, and latency seems notably less than my old modem.

Down load spped depends on what service you buy, but the latency is the
same irrespective.  Quantitatively ping times are down from 150ms to 50ms

> My configuration use the roaring penguin pppoe client (with
> a 2.2 kernel - from the Mitel SME server).

It is standard in the 2.4 distros

> You don't get a fixed IP, but dynamic DNS works OK.

You will need a dynamic DNS if you want to see your site from outside.

> You would be crazy to run any kind of network without a
> firewall - I regularly get port-scans and code-red worm still
> seems to be running around.

Couldn't agree more.

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people