Telstra ADSL

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 2 08:12:51 EST 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 07:52, Emeles wrote:
> Hi,
>     It's going to take about a year for Transact to get to my suburb, so
> I've been thinking
> it might be a good idea to take up Telstra ADSL. Has any body had any
> trouble with
> them? would any one recommend them? is pppoe all I need, etc?
I've had good success with Telstra ADSL. I regularly get 50kB/sec
downloads, and latency seems notably less than my old modem.

My configuration use the roaring penguin pppoe client (with
a 2.2 kernel - from the Mitel SME server).

You don't get a fixed IP, but dynamic DNS works OK.

You would be crazy to run any kind of network without a
firewall - I regularly get port-scans and code-red worm still
seems to be running around.

Brad

--
http://conf.linux.org.au. 22-25Jan2003. Perth, Australia. Birds in Black.