How to Log Account Usage?

brt_informatics at wlink.com.np brt_informatics at wlink.com.np
Thu Aug 1 22:32:34 EST 2002

Thanks Paul.
That was a great help. With those rules I can log the account usage on
the basis of bandwidth consumend.
Also, I want to creat account usage log on the basis of connection
time.
Can mgetty log those times..ie. start and end of a sesion.

Thank you very much,
Bikrant

> You can use your firewall rules to implement ip accounting.
>
> ipchains and iptables have packet and byte counts.
>
> You can add a rule (with no target) for you're ppp interface that
matches all
> packets. The byte count will then give you the total number of bytes
sent
> in/out on that interface. You have one for incoming (your download
total) and
> one for outgoing (your upload total).
>
> As there is no target for the rule, your other rules won't be
affected. Also,
> make sure this is the first rule in your input chain for that
interface (and
> the same for output). That way, your other rules won't match and drop
out of
> the chain before the packets are counted.
>
> There's a whole bit about this at the linux doco project (tldp.org).
Check
> out the network administrators guide.
>
> You'll need to zero the rules periodically, and record the
packet/byte count.
> Otherwise the counts will "overflow" at some point, and start again.
cron
> should do this nicely.
>
> Of course, you can get as specific with your rules as you like. e.g.
you can

www.iptables.org.
> There are some really good how-to's here that I highly recommend.
Anyone
> connected to the net should have a reasonable grasp on this stuff.
There's
> also how-to's for ipchains (I can't remember where though, google is
your
> friend), but iptables offers some extra nice stuff.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Paul.
>

> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 20:40, brt_informatics at wlink.com.np wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  Now my Dialin server, using mgetty is up and running in Red Hat
7.2.
> >  Actually there was a bug in the ppp package that came along with
the
> >  7.2 installation cd. check out www.redhat.com for more
information.

> >  Now the next challenge for me is to log user account usage? Can
> > anybody
> >  help me how to do that. Till now I've not seen any mgetty help
pages
> >  reffering to this topic. Can user accounting be managed by mgetty
or I
> >  have to use separate account?
> >
> >  help me please.....
> >  Thanks...
> >  Bikrant Neupane
> >  Kathmandu,Nepal
>
> - --
> Paul Bryan
> E-Mail: pa_bryan at yahoo.co.uk
>
> PGP Key
> http://www.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB1D405DA
>
> I need to discuss BUY-BACK PROVISIONS with at least six studio
SLEAZEBALLS!!