Off Topic:Home cinema

Drake Diedrich dld at coyote.com.au
Thu Aug 1 11:01:14 EST 2002

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:19:10AM +1000, George Bray wrote:

> While you're at it, take a look at video projectors.  In the last
> year they've come down in price and the brightness and picture
> quality is simply amazing (well, at 2000 lumens).

   We have a small (550? lumen) Sony projector.  Resolution is 1024x768. If
you aren't projecting onto a full wall-sized screen, 550 lumens is fine (for
say 1.5m diagonal). The cost of the small sony was $4300 IIRC.  Supplier was
Canberra Professional Equipment.  The 2000+ lumen projectors are in the
$10,000 range.  On the advice of other areas in ANU we bought all Sony gear.
Haven't played with widescreen inputs, but I see no reason you couldn't just
turn the lens in (as long as you aren't already projecting at maximum
width).  Light density would drop, but if you pull the curtains it should be
fine.  Total darkness not required.