X-P Voice Comms (was [OT] FYI: Telstra Providing Microsoft Messenger Internet Telephony)

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Apr 29 08:35:29 EST 2002

On Sunday, April 28, 2002, at 07:59 , Richard Cottrill wrote:

> Does it have to be free? If not then have a look at iSpQ Video Chat.
> I'm not
> sure about Linux, but it's definitely available for OS X and Windows.
> What
> about the openh323.org people.

I stumbled across FreePhone yesterday.  http://www-
sop.inria.fr/rodeo/fphone/

I can't remember what the search terms were that convinced Google to
give this link to me though.  If you mention "telephony", the top 10
hits are commercial products that connect telephones to the Internet or
vice-versa (some even do both).

Open-H.323 will have to be examined - I think I briefly stopped by their
site once before.

I want something that is Free Software, because I want to entertain the
fantasy of adding my own front end to it under Mac OS X.  The FreePhone
stuff requires certain bits and pieces to give it an X Windows System
frontend, but I prefer Cocoa applications under Mac OS X, then Java
(Swing), with X Windows System based interfaces a very, very distant
third.

Alex
PS: Notice how when you write "Cross-Platform" the same way that some
people write "Cross-Country", it looks like a dead smilie with its
tongue hanging out?