Keen for a Linux server!

Simon Haddon simon at sibern.com.au
Mon Apr 29 17:21:25 EST 2002

Hi Scott,

I would probably suggest the Computer Markets for cheap.  Without knowing
your budget and the number of people you want to support on your network
it is a little hard to guestimate.

I would say you could pick up memory and harddisks quite cheaply at the
markets.  There is one this weekend, Sat 04 May, Old Bus Depot Building,
27 Wentworth Ave, Kingston.

I have no problems in helping/advising you with setting up a server.  We
have a server that runs Redhat 7.1 with The following software/services:
	Samba		(using NT domain logins with roaming profiles)
	DHCP		(Dynamic IP)
	DNS		(provide local DNS and caches outside DNS calls)
	Apache	(for Intranet)
	NTP 		(Time sync)
	Coldfusion	(We develop web applications)
	PostgreSQL	(database)
	Oracle 8i	(database development)
	Squid		(internet proxy and cache)
	webmin	(remote administration)

I use to have the same server as the firewall but quickly came to the
conclusion that this was not a good thing.  I ended up getting a Pention
133 and using that as the firewall running IPCop.  Very easy to
administer with a web interface and good instructions on the web site.

I have the server configured so that if a new Windows machine is plugged
into the network then it only takes a few simple steps to configure it.
First up setting the IP address to automatic, then setting the workgroup
to our workgroup name and last setting the browser to use an automatic
configuration script for the internet connection.

I had a iMac plugged into the network the other day.  It used a product
called DAVE which allowed network drives and other shared resources to be
connected.  Everything else seemed to work ok.

With the transACT issue I am also hoping for the same thing.  Once I have
it connected then I will use pppoe on the firewall.

Another benefit of having a seperate firewall is that it tends to
interfere less with the server if the internet connection is down.

I hope that helps a little,
Simon

Simon Haddon, E-mail: simon at sibern.com.au
Sibern Solutions Pty Ltd, 38 Beasley St, Pearce, ACT 2607
Tel: 02, 62864500, Fax: 02, 62864526

On 29/04/02, 4:36:15 PM, Scott Oates <greensoffice at greens.org.au> wrote
regarding Keen for a Linux server!: