Boot problem

Anthony Jones acj110 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Fri Apr 26 14:00:25 EST 2002

Hi,

I was hoping someone would be able to offer advice on the following
problem: I am trying to dual (well actually triple) boot windows and
redhat 7.2. I have windows XP installed on hda3 partition, Windows ME on
hda1 partition, red hat on hdb 3-5.  I was told to modify the boot.ini
file of windows to include the line:  C:\bootsect.lnx = "Red Hat 7.2"
where I have copied the boot sector (using dd command) from linux /boot
partition into bootsect.lnx file.  This doesnt work, when I choose red hat
from the windows boot screen a flashing cursor appears and nothing else.
I can boot Linux through a boot disk, so what is the boot disk doing that
the boot.ini file cant do?  I have tried copying the bootsectors from all
partitions hdb1-5, just in case I had mistaken which partition my /boot
was on.  I have been told to use Lilo or grub booter but just for the
principle of the thing, i want to work out how to configure windows to
boot this. Thanks in advance.

Anthony Jones