debate about Free software for the ACT Government

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Apr 24 05:12:55 EST 2002

I'm afraid gentlemen (and any lurking ladies) that you'll have to believe
that I'd be there with bells on, and bring all of my meagre political
influence with me. Unfortunately I'll be out of town (and then some) when
this happens; so the best I can manage is to shout from the sidelines.

ESR has some 'interesting' views on all kinds of things - if he weren't so
well known he'd be certifiable rather than eccentric. I really should have
clarified that I meant 'party political' rather than just politicised (free
software is essentially a political movement when you think about it). As I
implied towards the end of my rant, I think most members of CLUG are already
quite politically active (for a fairly broad interpretation of political) -
I think most people in CLUG will happily take sides in a work debate on the
relative virtues of free, open software.

Personally I don't think you should wear your allegiances on your sleeves -
politicians never do us the honour of declaring their intentions. <rude
comment withheld>

Richard