Manual PPP Script How-To?

Sam Couter scouter at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 23 13:36:02 EST 2002

Chris Wallis <walski at xis.com.au> wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone could point me towards a how-to on how to setup
> and manually configure PPP and dialler in Debian testing

Did you ask Google first? Top link on this search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=ppp+howto

> ... cause it doesn?t
> have the nice pppconfig setup program.

Did you ask apt-cache first?

sam at krusty:~$ apt-cache search pppconfig
pppconfig - A text menu based utility for configuring ppp.
sam at krusty:~$ apt-cache show pppconfig
Package: pppconfig
Section: base
Installed-Size: 93
Maintainer: John Hasler <jhasler at debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 2.0.14
Depends: ppp (>= 2.3.7), whiptail | dialog
Filename: pool/main/p/pppconfig/pppconfig_2.0.14_all.deb
Size: 26852
MD5sum: 4cf20c32ddc0a1539b765eb82b702fb0
 It provides extensive explanations at each step.  pppconfig supports
 PAP, CHAP, and chat methods of authentication.  It uses the standard
 ppp configuration files and sets ppp up so that the standard pon and
 poff commands can be used to control ppp.
 Some features supported by pppconfig are:
  - Multiple ISPs with separate nameservers.
  - Modem detection.
  - Dynamic DNS.
  - Dial on demand.
Task: dialup

sam at krusty:~$

You could have done this research yourself in a few seconds and had
results faster.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:scouter at bigpond.net.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org