[Long] Auto-Recovery Boot CD

Mark Purcell msp at purcell.homeip.net
Mon Apr 22 20:53:21 EST 2002

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 06:23:58PM +1000, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> If this has already been done before, I'd love to read about it - can
> you point me at a web page?

Alex,

Have a look at the bootcd package, it seems to do everything you
want except it takes a full copy of all your Debian installed packages
and data.  But I'm sure with a little modification to bootcd scripts
you could just dump your package list as you state...

Of course there is also the 650Mb limit, but you can specify directories
not to be written. So maybe /bin /sbin would be enough to bootup and you
could exclude /usr, but leave /etc/ and /var so you know what should be
installed and what the config is like.

Anyway worth a look.

Mark

Package: bootcd
 Copy your running Debian System on CD with the command bootcdwrite.
 If your system has no CD-Writer you can build a bootcd via NFS on a
 remote System with CD-Writer. When you run your system from CD you do
 not need any disks. All changes will be done in ram. To reuse this
 changes at next boottime you can save them on FLOPPY with the command
 bootcdflopcp. If booting from your CD-drive is not supported, booting
 from FLOPPY is possible. It is possible to install a new system from
 the running CD with the command bootcd2disk. Bootcd2disk can also find
 a target disk, format it and make it bootable automatically.