more SSH troubles (SEC: UNCLASSIFIED)

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Tue Apr 16 16:10:53 EST 2002

From: "Lisman, FLGOFF Jarrad" <Jarrad.Lisman at defence.gov.au>
> $ ssh -L port:hots:host_port ....
> In verbose mode the ssh initialisation tells me that local port 3306
(mysql)
> is being forwarded to 192.168.10.2:3306 but when I try to log to the dbase
> get cannot connect to the mysql socket. Knowing that the server is running
> on 192.168.10.2 I start up a server on the local machine and that is all
> that the local machine will connect to. I know that I can use the -h
switch
> in mysql but I would like to do this over a secure tunnel.

When you say you're trying to connect to the local machine on port 3306,
what IP are you connecting to? When you create an SSH tunnel, the local end
of the tunnel is only bound to localhost on your machine, so you'd have to
point mysql at localhost:3306..  I'd suggest that mysql itself on your local
machine would be starting up, finding that it can't bind to localhost, but
goes ahead and binds to your ethernet adapter, so youv'e effectively got
different things on localhost:3306 and ethernetip:3306..

Just my thoughts.. :)

Cheers,

DG

--