Open source MYOB needed.

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Thu Apr 11 14:28:07 EST 2002

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 01:29:19PM +1000, Michael James wrote:
> Dear Converted,
>
> On the subject of Open Source packages,
> Anyone know of a MYOB style package out there?
> (Or are all us linux types too poor to need it.
>   I know my business fits comfortably into a shoe box)

Look at gnucash, it's come a very long way and it perfectly usable for
accounting. However, if you're looking for small business features like in
MYOB, I beleive they only exist as a patch and even then may not do what
you.

> KUGAR, the report generator mentioned earlier sounded like a basis,
>  but some pre-loaded tax equations would be useful.
> So would the ability to read and write MYOB dat files.

Well, MYOB is only for australia whereas gnucash works anywhere, as such it
doesn't have much intelligence about local tax laws. If you know scheme
however, you can create new reports to produce anything you like.

It's even possible to use postgresql as the backend, meaning you can use any
SQL query engine to extract results. I beleive it's also possible then to
add more columns to keep track of stuff that it doesn't do itself.

MYOB dat files? I doubt most gnucash developers have even seen one :) I'm
sure they'd appreciate a patch.

HTH,

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/