Ouch, IP accounting needed

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Apr 8 16:56:00 EST 2002

On Monday, April 8, 2002, at 01:26 , Michael James wrote:

> So I need software that will count bytes in directly
>  and analyse squid logs for traffic that actually resulted in a fetch.
>
> The reports I want to generate
>  would be an external bytecount for each machine,
>  and a list of sites visited ranked by bytes downloaded.

For the Squid server, use pwebstats - we used to use it here at the
office until our System Administrator got too lazy to maintain it ;)

I'm starting to use IPAC on the ADSL router at our home - I haven't
gotten to setting up individual rules for each machine in the house, but
I'll be working on that pronto.  I'm trying to accurately measure the
amount of traffic generated by Diablo II - I think it's in the order of
10-20Mb an hour... but I digress.

Eventually I'll get IPAC and RRDTOOL working together to produce some
really whizz-bang graphs (I'm a Mac weenie - if it can't be drawn, it
doesn't exist ;), but in the meantime I just have a number which
represents the bytes sent or received since the beginning of the month.

pwebstats: http://martin.gleeson.com/pwebstats/
ipac: http://www.daneben.de/ipac.html