Parrot and GCC (Was: Re: Perl, Python and noo perl SEC: UNCLASSIFIED)

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Apr 5 23:55:07 EST 2002

On Friday, April 5, 2002, at 10:44 , Matthew Hawkins wrote:

> Just to prove my cluelessness about this, so how does gcj work then?
> Surely Java requires a virtual machine also?  Hence, something similar
> could be done for Parrot if it was truly necessary.

GCJ provides a library that effectively emulates the JVM.  GCJ
more-or-less provides before-time compilation (I can't believe that
people get so excited about JIT), and binds the "Java" program right
into the JVM, without the layers of abstraction required for
interpreting byte code.

The greatest drawback to using the JVM for other languages is that it's
pretty much designed from the ground up to support Java.

I'll stop now before I reveal my true lack of clue.
Alex