PostgreSQL vs MySQL?

John Griffiths john at capmon.com
Thu Apr 4 12:34:45 EST 2002

Just to chuck in a 2c,

MySQL is very good at doing a limited number of things, if you have avery
clear aims for what you want it to acheive, and it can meet them, then it's
a fine and reliable choice.

PostgreSQL on the other is a bigger beast, pretty good at what it does, and
does a lot more.

if you want to crack walnuts you use a nutcracker, MySQL is a good nutcracker

if you want to break rocks you use a jackhammer, or maybe dynamite.

Postgres is a jackhammer...

Oracle is, in some peoples view, dynamite

john

At 12:15 PM 4/4/02 +1000, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:
>It depends on what you want to do.
>
>MySQL is convenient (and usually available) for tasks that
>are unlikely to generate much load. It's probably more
>widely deployed than Postgres.
>
>I notice O'Reilly now have a Postgres book, the quality of
>doco is a big reason why I get people to use MySQL for
>quickies, I can give them a book and tell them to go away.
>Chances are they can grep Google for example code.
>Postgres is a bit more opaque (at least to start with).
>
>Antti

Win98
>> I guess, but why anyone would do that is beyond me ;-).
>>
>> I initially thought it was more portable than PostgreSQL, as I know it is
>> Cygwin based and only claims to support NT etc.  However, I now notice that
>> MySQL on Windows is also Cygwin based.  Anyone with any experience in how
>> they compare running on Windows 98?  (Does PostgreSQL actually run on
Windows