Notes from 20020328

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 2 21:40:27 EST 2002

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 19:43, Peter Barker wrote:
<snip>
> - Brad Hards, Zeroconf networking
<snip>
>  - don't normally use it
This is not strictly true. You don't normally use it as the _sole_ IP. However
the Internet Draft specifies that you should normally have at least one
"normal" IP (eg 192.168\16 or a routeable IP, whatever) as well as the
zeroconf IP (169.254\16). This is so you can communicate with "zeroconf only"
devices (typically shown as some kind of networked peripheral, like NAS or a
printer).

>   - useful for things like just plugging a USB cable thingy in and having
> it work.
This was my original motivation, but zeroconf is intended for wider use.

<snip>
> With the zeroconf stuff - did anyone catch how you determine a gateway
> for the network you're - kind of - on?
A network gateway is just another service, so you get (a pointer to the)
information from SLP. I'm thinking maybe BGP-4
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1771.txt) could be a candidate service, but you
can almost certainly find another RFC or twenty that can provide an
alternative.

Brad