Modules question

Simon Fowler simon at himi.org
Tue Apr 2 08:00:03 EST 2002

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 06:17:27AM +1000, Michael Still wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Simon Fowler wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 09:03:12PM +1000, Michael Still wrote:
> > >
> > > This is probably a silly question, but I have never really played with
> > > modules before...
> > >
> > > I want minix on my uml debian machine. I have compiled the minix.o and
> > > arranged for it to be in /lib/modules/2.4.18/fs/minix/minix.o. An insmod
> > > doesn't find it. Is there special magic to make this work? Is this even
> > > the right location for a 2.4.18 kernel?
> > >
> > I assume this is /lib/modules/2.4.18/fs/minix/minix.o on your UML
> > root_fs?
>
> It turns out the magic path is /lib/modules/2.4.18-2um/fs/minix/minix.o...
>
> > If it is, then try booting the image and running depmod -a, then try
> > modprobe minix. If you still get an error, try running insmod with
> > the full path to the module - I /know/ that works with my UML setup,
> > because it loads /my/ modules.
>
> It now gives me the same error message in insmod and depmod -- "couldn't
> find the kernel version the module was compiled for".

You're pointing the module build at the wrong source tree - the
module is including <linux/version.h> from the wrong tree.

You'll also need to make sure that you build with ARCH=um, so that
the build process knows which arch-specific tree to look in . . .

Any more thought will have to wait for coffee ;-)

Simon

--
PGP public key Id 0x144A991C, or ftp://bg77.anu.edu.au/pub/himi/himi.asc
(crappy) Homepage: http://bg77.anu.edu.au