File system tricks

jeremy at itassist.net.au jeremy at itassist.net.au
Fri Sep 28 14:36:31 EST 2001

I've been playing around with emulators for a bit now, and am happy with
bochs and wine.  However wine doesn't always work so well.  The docs say
that it works better if you have a current windows installation (which I
only have as a file the bochs uses).

At the moment I cannot mount this file because it is a disc image and
not a partition image.

Are there drivers to mount partitions?  Could I fool the normal driver
into using a file as a partition?  Failing that, does anyone have a way
that I could copy a partition out of a disc image file?

I don't want to install windows because of the way it stomps my boot
setup every time (I have this weird setup using grub).  Plus I have no
spare partitions.

--
I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,