rsync troubles

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Tue Sep 25 21:08:13 EST 2001

Tomasz Ciolek wrote:
> I am wandering if there are any limits inherent to rsync as to homw many "objects" ie files and directories it can handle in asingle run? Does oneone kow if there are patches to rsync to resolve this problem?

Don't know the theory, but I regularly sync an 80+GB filesystem without
a problem.
Both sides run kernel 2.49/10, and the fs is XFS, oner RAID5.

The fs is made of many small file (an office wide NFS/SMB server).

The initial sync took over an hour to start moving data.

A null rsync (where the target is already uptodate) takes just about an
hour.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.anu.edu.au/eyal/>