AMD 1.4GHz vs 1.2GHz performance

Matthew Hawkins matthew at topic.com.au
Wed Sep 19 10:39:41 EST 2001

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Stephen Gibson wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can improve the 1.4GHz system
> performance or is it simply a reflection of a poor motherboard/RAM from MSI?
> Note, the 1.4 system has 512Mb DDR RAM cf 256Mb for the 1.2 system
> (the applications are not memory intensive, but I read somewhere
> that 2.4.x kernels may be slower for systems with "large" memory).

"Large" generally means >1Gb (where you have to compile HIGHMEM
support into the kernel).

Two things I would look at; first is the 1.4Ghz system clocked in the
bios to 1.4Ghz?  The second thing I would look at is if the bus speed is
set to 266Mhz on both (but particularly the 1.4Ghz system)

Cheers,

--
Matt