Using apple monitor on i386 (Matrox G450)?

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Tue Sep 18 09:30:19 EST 2001

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 07:07:26AM +1000, Brad Hards wrote:
> I am currently in the market for a new monitor (perhaps two, in time) for my
> workstation (dual celeron, with a Matrox G450 AGP card).
> Running dual head (with or without Xinerama), I get a bit of interaction
> between the monitors (both 17in CRT style). It looks a little like "swimming",
> and degaussing helps - a lot, but only for a short time.
>
> So I am thinking of getting a LCD screen to replace one of the CRTs. However I
> would really like to see the monitor before I buy it, and that is a bit tricky
> in Canberra at the moment, since no-one seems to stock high end monitors.
> Except for Apple.
>
> Has anyone tried a newish Apple monitor (especially the 17in "Studio Display"
> LCD) with a such a video card setup? I would also like to get the USB monitor
> control stuff set up. Does the cabling (as supplied with the monitor) provide
> seperate connectors for USB and video on the video card end?

all those really nice high end apple monitors connect to the new apple monitor
connector on erecent g4's and similar computers, this is not vga and not the
old connector found on old apples. There may be a dongle you can buy to
connect it to a vga out, however that dongle would also need to provide the
other features, such as usb or similar, or you would not be able to use them.

        See You
            Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh