Using apple monitor on i386 (Matrox G450)?

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 18 07:07:26 EST 2001

G'day all,

I am currently in the market for a new monitor (perhaps two, in time) for my
workstation (dual celeron, with a Matrox G450 AGP card).
Running dual head (with or without Xinerama), I get a bit of interaction
between the monitors (both 17in CRT style). It looks a little like "swimming",
and degaussing helps - a lot, but only for a short time.

So I am thinking of getting a LCD screen to replace one of the CRTs. However I
would really like to see the monitor before I buy it, and that is a bit tricky
in Canberra at the moment, since no-one seems to stock high end monitors.
Except for Apple.

Has anyone tried a newish Apple monitor (especially the 17in "Studio Display"
LCD) with a such a video card setup? I would also like to get the USB monitor
control stuff set up. Does the cabling (as supplied with the monitor) provide
seperate connectors for USB and video on the video card end?

Brad