MRTG how safe is it?

Stephen Granger linux-boy at acenet.com.au
Thu Sep 13 17:02:16 EST 2001

Hi again,

I'm just about to setup MRTG to monitor system load and the mail statistics
on a server, and I was wondering on peoples recommendations of how safe this
is, in regards security. This is the first time I have actually setup my own
service running from inetd and I not really sure of the consequences that
could come about from this.

I'm following the scripts & etc from Nate Amsden at

http://portal.aphroland.org/mrtg-config/

Running a shell script as nobody seems safe, what owneship, and other stuff
could I do to improve the security?

After skimming the man for inetd.conf I didn't find anything that could help
me out, and I'm not really sure where to start looking... or what to type
into google :)

Steve