Cold Fusion -> PHP

jeremy at itassist.net.au jeremy at itassist.net.au
Mon Sep 10 14:56:01 EST 2001

I'm unable to restrain myself...

I understand your fervour, but watch out for statements like 'no other
language can...'.  Just for starters, PHP is programmed in C, so there
is definately one other language that can do the same thing, and that is
the language your interpreter is written in.

In a similar way you can get the functionality of Perl in your C
programs by linking against the perl function libraries.

Finally from a more distant point of view, pretty much any language that
calls itself a programming language is Turing complete, and can be
mapped to any other language.  The only consideration is how much work
you would have to do to emulate another language.

You are probably at the point where you have discovered that some
languages really are much better for certain tasks, but not yet
realising that most languages are very similar, provided you stay within
the OO/functional/procedural boundaries.

> No other language allows you to trap content (normally being written out in
> the http stream) into local space where it can be accessed as a variable and
> optionally released after done some other processing. I've used this
> technique to effect funky caching techniques (see PHP.net conference notes).

I don't think your first statement is accurate.

--
I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,