sharing a dial-up connection with a win95 system

Matthew Gibbins mgibbins at mindless.com
Sat Sep 8 08:59:58 EST 2001

And yo was jeremy at itassist.net.au heard to yodel:
> On  5 Sep, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:
> > jeremy wrote:
> >> the web for a Win95
> >
> >> little while to work through - there's a lot there.
> >
> > Conversely, the Windows net sharing is not that painless
> > either. I was going to share using Windows until I built
> > my firewall. In the end, it took less time to build a
> > firewall than it took to get Windows net sharing working.
>

> That's unuasual.  Perhaps you have a special setup, but I always found
> windows networking to be fairly straightforwards.  Install drivers for
> card, assign IP and DNS, reboot.

  I'll agree with you on the initial configuration, but as Antti mentioned it's
 the net sharing that's the difficult bit. A while ago I had the misfortune to
 set up a friends WinXX computers with Internet Connection Sharing. An
 adventure in wierdness. For one you have to assign the network device of the
 host machine on the client machine as your destination. This was confusing as
 both machines had exactly the same type of network card.
 Secondly ICS only allows a connection of two machines.
 And thirdly in typical MSFT fashion it has a habit of spontaneously deciding
 not to work...:(

--
 I'm not advocating that anyone take up emacs. Not even me: at my age, I'd be more likely to try bungee-jumping. It's easier, and has less risk of causing permanent brain damage.
**  A posting on ZDNet forum