Really spooky

Sam Couter sam at topic.com.au
Thu Sep 6 15:31:57 EST 2001

Howard Lowndes <lannet at lannet.com.au> wrote:
> What is strange is that when box C freezes I can still switch to all of
> the boxes, but when I switch to box C there is, not unreasonably, a blank
> screen.  However if I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del in this position (box C) then it
> causes box D to reboot.

El cheapo switch box, which doesn't switch right when the keyboard
controller on box C is frozen, or when box C doesn't output a video signal?

> I first thought it might be cross talk in the switch box, but that doesn't
> explain why it works OK when box C is working OK.  My only other idea is
> that somehow the signal is migrating to box D over the DMZ network.
> (After thought - there is a cron job which ssh's between these two boxes
> regularly)

Keyboard scancodes don't migrate across networks. If box D is rebooting,
then either you've configured init on box C to cause it to ssh to box D and
reboot it (unlikely), or you've really sent the Ctrl-Alt-Del sequence to box
D. Since your switch box is in charge of that, I'd point the finger squarely
at the switch box.
--
Sam Couter          |   Internet Engineer   |   http://www.topic.com.au/
sam at topic.com.au    |   tSA Consulting      |