NIS + automount fiddling

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Sep 5 00:17:47 EST 2001

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 02:40:10PM +0100, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> Actually the scary bit was when automount grabbed /home and decided it
> hadn't yet mounted anything there, ergo, it was empty. I'm not the only
> person who uses this machine and the prospect of having wiped out everyone
> else's files made me more than a little concerned. Fortunately everything
> returned to normal when I stopped autofs/mount. Then I did what I should
> have before starting this Jihad on local files - I backed them up.

Automounter is dangerous! I wanted to have /cdrom automounted as an
experiment and only succeeded in losing all normal files and symlinks in
my root directory.

> So the conclusion that I've come to is that it's not possible to have:
> /home				<--- a real directory
> 	/richard		<--- normal, local account, normal directory
> 	/david		<--- as above
> 	/jeremy		<--- some NIS user with automatically mounted NFS $HOME
> 	/somebody-else	<--- another NIS user
>
> Automount will let me have one type of mount or another (I believe).

It certainly seems that way. Actually quite annoying, since being able to
have different type would be cool. Maybe we need a simpler automount that
only works for a single directory.

Ah well, at least you have a solution...
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/