NIS + automount fiddling

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 4 11:30:06 EST 2001

Peter Barker wrote:

> > * How do I figure out if I'm using NIS or NIS+ (I've tried both 'yp' and
> > 'nisplus' in the auto.master file to no avail - yes I reload between
> > fiddles)?
>
> Hmmmm.... you could edit /etc/nsswitch and comment out one or the
> other. If it breaks, you know which one it was :-)

Another way to tell: is your NIS server a Linux machine? If so, it can only
be NIS (yp) as there is no NIS+ server implementation for Linux (nor will
there likely ever be one).

NIS+ support for Linux is limited to allowing Linux clients to join an
existing NIS+ network with Solaris NIS+ servers.

> > * what strange combination of yp* commands can I use to see what's being
> > returned from the NIS server to autofs (assuming autofs is making the query
> > in the first place)?
>
> I believe it simply says "OK, the person's home directory is <this>. Let's
> cd them into it.". autofs pops up and says "hey, I'm responsible for
> that", and mounts it.

"ypmatch <username> auto_home" will tell you where each home directory is
being
mounted from (for NIS/YP).

> > * Would having more than one person logged in at a time result in a 'mount
> > tree' (more than one file system to be mounted under a specific automount
> > point - from autofs(5)) described as unsupported in the autofs(5) page?
>
> You use a wilcard rule. Yes, they are separate mounts.
>
> > * Is this set up possible for Linux, and if so, how?
>
> Surely is.
>
> My config is:
>
> In auto.master:
> /nethome        /etc/auto.nethome       --timeout 60
>
> In auto.nethome:
> *       -rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,intr,user,exec
> moriarty.fith.priv:/nethome/&
>
> See the ampersand on the end? That gets replaced with whatever the
> "*" matched.
>
> > * My next victim for this treatment is a Red Hat 7.1 box; will there be any
> > changes for the procedure there?
>
> No.
>
> > Richard
>
> Yours,
> --
> Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
> Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\
> pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au         |   S   \_,--?_*<-- Canberra
> You need a bigger hammer.             |             v    [35S, 149E]
> "When used legally and in its intended fashion, the Acrobat eBook Reader
>  secures eBooks purchased by locking the eBook to the hardware from which
>  it was purchased." -- Adobe press release

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.