sec: unclassified - CCNA vs 'traditional' study at college

Karun Dambiec karun at dambiec.com
Wed Oct 31 20:35:43 EST 2001

Ellis, Peter R. wrote:

>Karun, (and others)
>
>I have seen reference in your postings to the Cisco course (CCNA) at
>College.
>
>My son, David, is going to Hawker College next year for years 11/12. It has
>a similar Cisco scheme there, but he is (or is it I am) somewhat confused as
>to the usefulness of the Cisco 'major' versus doing more 'traditional' IT
>subjects best summarised as "programming languages" and "systems analysis",
>when looking at going on to university study in IT.
>
>He is about 7-10 days from an enrollment interview to nominate his subjects.
>

>Please comment on your understandings and feelings about this.
>(Anyone else with an opinion? But... please keep opinions to under 300 lines
>and/or 5,000 words.....)
>
>Thanks,
>Peter

Presently,
If you do the cisco course, you only recieve a minor in it unless you
also do a year of the other IT subjects. At copland college you can do
both at the same time if you want.
You don't have to be  concerned about choosing courses to do as a
major/minor to after the first semester. Ask at the enrollment interview
and they will explain it.

Karun Dambiec
karun at dambiec.com