unclassified - CCNA vs 'traditional' study at college

Shaw, Dale Dale.Shaw at praxa.com.au
Wed Oct 31 15:50:38 EST 2001

My 2c..

I'm not sure how these Cisco Network Academy things work, but the reality is
that CCNA is attainable by anyone with half a clue by purchasing a $100 book
and passing a $240 exam. It's the absolute entry level Cisco certification.
Having said that, I believe of the various vendor networking exams,
Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices (ICND -- the exam that when passed
makes you a CCNA) is one of the better ones. I'm directly comparing
Microsoft's now obsolete 'Networking Essentials' and Novell's 'Networking
Technologies'.

I've always wondered how the outcome of these courses is CCNA. The ICND
course is 5 days at Com Tech/DiData and costs about $2,400. Surely there
must be more to the academy courses..

Compared to anything I did at school, any vendor certification is a zillion
times more practical. Canberra is a Cisco town and Cisco certification, I
believe, is a reasonably valuable asset. CCNA proves you can spell "network"
and not much more. The advantage of the instructor-led approach is that
you're more likely to get some 'hands on' with some actual Cisco kit.

If it was me, I'd be tackling the traditional course and having a crack at
self-studying CCNA on the side. Plenty of Internet resources for getting
through CCNA..

Like I said at the beginning, I have no idea what the curriculum for the
Cisco Network Academy stuff looks like. I assume what Karun is talking about
is what they run at ADFA or something similar. It could be a lot different
to the (very) compressed content in ICND with just a similar outcome on
paper.

Cheers,
Dale