CLUG meetings

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Mon Oct 29 18:51:03 EST 2001

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 05:00:12PM +1100, Bob Edwards wrote:
> Hey, I'm not a "key player". That's Tridge, Rusty, Paulus, Stephen
> Rothwell and the other Linux Pros/Kernel Hackers.

Hmm, I thought you had the keys? I think that makes you a "key" player?

Sorry :)

> Anyway, how about a straw-poll on what people would like to see
> discussed at CLUG meetings? FreeBSD might be interesting, but not
> really Linux - is it? The PPPoE/xDSL stuff (which applies equally
> to TransACT and Telstra ADSL) would be good to cover.

Wrt FreeBSD, it would be nice if someone could demonstrate some of the major
differences (and no, I don't want to hear about any possible performance
related stuff, usability is far more important).

> Stephen Handley has offered to do a talk on User-Mode Linux (UML) -
> I would be keen to hear that one.

Who's that? Never heard of him :)

UML would be cool, though wasn't there a presentation last year? Maybe I'm
getting confused with a conference.

> I could do one on porting Linux to the EzeNet TV (cheapo
> consumer-oriented 486 box sold by Harvey Norman earlier this year).

Sounds good.

> Other stuff I would like to see includes: how to _really_ get DVDs
> playing on Linux (I can't get xine, vlc or mplayer to work properly),
> anything on nifty projects that people are working on, etc. Any
> volunteers?

vlc worked first time on my dell laptop, never tried it on any other
machine. I would be interested in someone who was trying to get a Tivo
equivalent to work.

And anyway, as long as someone has some keys and more than one person wants
to go, CLUG exists.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/