Fwd: Patent abuse (Off Topic)

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at bigpond.com
Thu Oct 25 22:06:48 EST 2001

Hi all,

I got this from the Simple End User Linux / Education mailing list.  I
thought there may be someone here that knows something that can help.  If so,
please mail Chris Puttick directly.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

Subject: [seul-edu] Patent abuse...
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:34:22 +0100
From: Chris Puttick <chris at centralmanclc.com>
To: "'seul-edu at seul.org'" <seul-edu at seul.org>

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Hi

The world-wide patent equivalent to below is being used in the UK to stop
educational institutions from using wireless networks to collect attendance
data or to access it for reporting purposes. One education authority in the
UK has settled out of court to allow it to continue using its wireless
network infrastructure. We believe that this patent is not applicable on
systems that use generic networking technology and PCs, but we need
something to show to the lawyers.

We would be interested in any evidence of prior electronic registration data
systems, in particular those that involved a wireless data transfer at some
point in the process e.g. a point ot point microwave link or used standard
network protocols (TCP/IP, IPX) or applications (telnet , ftp, http). Of
greatest interest are systems that can be shown to be in use before 1993,
but also anything that is well established is useful.

It seems likely the late addition of the world patent is a possible
moneyspinner for a company whose primary product has been outclassed by
standard PC based apps.

All help appreciated.

Regards

Chris Puttick