re Transact and peer to peer.

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Thu Oct 25 15:25:46 EST 2001

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 11:58:33AM +1000, andrew at bishop.dropbear.id.au wrote:
> From what I've gathered, there is only one AC on the network (at least,
> when I send out PADIs, I only get one response).

That's because you only get shown the ones you get access to. I havn't seen
anyone on transact but my guess is that the AC refers to your ISP. Each ISP
would have it's own.

> From this, and the fact that the "username" I use for PAP authentication
> over this PPPoE includes the name of the isp (currently it's
> "onceler at webone.com.au"), I surmise I'm talking PPPoE to a transact
> router, that then forwards my connection on to the appropriate isp.

Interesting. They way you find out would be to signup to two ISPs and see if
you get two ACs. Now that I think about it, you're probably right. That way
the ISPs don't need to buy an AC.

That doesn't change the fact that it is possible to have multiple ACs on a
single connection. They just obviously don't use that fact.

> This router also does not seem to allow more than one session at a time
> (I get no reply to PADIs sent while a connection is open).  Hopefully
> something they can change.

That's different. Last time I checked my ADSL , telstra's AC still responds
even while you're connected.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/