How to setup Peer to Peer on Transact : (was Transact and peer to peer)

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Thu Oct 25 12:57:02 EST 2001

At 11:49 AM 25/10/2001 +1000, Marek Samoc wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Marek Samoc wrote:
>MS> Last time I talked to Transact they mentioned $1000/month for colocating a
>MS> server inside their facilities.
>MS>
>MS> Marek
>

>Having said that, I do believe that, if a case for a not-for-profit
>community service is made, Transact may be persuaded to go a long way
>towards being very flexible.
>What about approaching them with a well-penned proposal in the name of
>Canberra LUG for establishment of CLUG supporterd peer-to-peer services?
>Or am I dreaming...?
>
>Marek

No-one has mentioned the fact that the transact connection is asymetric.  10 times.  Not very good for servers.  Why?  Marketing decision?  Not technical.

The other issue is that if you wanted to set up two pppoe connections, one to your ISP and one to the peer-to-peer you would have to be very careful you didn't route.

Kim

--
Kim Holburn  Network Consultant  P: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)