re Transact and peer to peer.

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Thu Oct 25 09:53:06 EST 2001

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 01:50:41AM +1000, Andrew wrote:
> Hi,
>     The problem with peer to peer networking and transact can't be
> solved that easily.  Each connection is created with an Authentication
> handshake (which is handled by the ISP of choice).  Therefore if we
> wanted any transact client to send data directly to another one without
> being charged, ALL the ISP's (I believe only two at the moment, but
> growing) would have to agree on this.  As far as my knowledge goes,
> ISP's in Canberra aren't "buddies" - there is no incentive for them to
> do this (and it would take a bit of time...).  ISP's are offering plans
> around 9cents/MB - they wouldn't be making more than a cent or two per
> M/B on the data they sell - I believe it is in their interest to keep
> the customers paying the full price.

As someone else pointed out, that's not necessary. All they have to do I
provide multiple access concentrators. One for your ISP and one for internal
traffic. On connect you choose which one.

Even the ADSL modems telstra is handing out can handle 7 PPPoE connections
to different ACs simultaneously. Though how they're going to arrange for
windows machines to access both networks at the same time is beyond me.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/