Got TransACT!

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Wed Oct 24 11:28:29 EST 2001

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Bob Edwards wrote:

> After a _really_ long wait, I have finally got TransACT this afternoon.

I'm scheduled for next Wednesday! Wow! They're actually getting
_customers_ now?

> Had to help the "cable guy" with pulling Cat. 5E cable under a part of
> my floor as he was a little larger than me and wouldn't fit under. I am

Did you just get him to install data a short distance from the STB? I
think they'll do a couple of metres according to their information. Now -
if they'd do a duplicate set of plugs in abother room...

> Although I originally asked for TransWeb (data service), I am going to
> unsubscribe from that tomorrow (don't even know if I have it yet) until

... you kind of have this option. Not _everyone_ has a fast wireless link
to a large institution :-) Basically, I could go with ADSL instead for
data, but then things are getting a little expensive.

> such time as TransACT enable peer-peer networking (I am quite happy with
> my 11Mbps wireless link for Internet access). I am hoping this act
> might encourage TransACT to think that there actually is a demand for
> the (free) peer-peer service.

I've actually pushed them a bit on this.Most of the people over there
appear to be in one of two camps: "What are you talking about?" and "We
think it would be a really neat idea."

They do not even have a _timeline_ for providing the service!

I think we can all see how silly that is; with ADSL providing a cheaper,
better data service, they need to find some way of differentiating
themselves. "Swap MP3s with your friends" might not be the _best_ way of
advertising it, but something close may do it :-)

How many other people here would pay for the service _if_ they had
a local "loopback" ISP, and will not while they don't?

> Bob Edwards.

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\