A problem getting ADSL to work

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Tue Oct 23 23:54:42 EST 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 11:26:05PM +1000, Howard Lowndes wrote:
>                    |      172.24.1.2       |
>                    -------------------------
>                            eth1|
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ADSL Service Provider     172.24.1.1
>                                ?
>                                ?
>                       The world out there

                          (not to scale)

> If I ping from the Linux box to the outside world then nothing happens
> because it tries to use the 172.24.1.2 address as the source address and
> that doesn't work with the ADSL service provider, but if I force the ping
> to use the 234.234.234.234 address as its interface address (with the -I
> option) then success.  I guess the 172.24.x.y address are only there just
> so that the modem and the DSLAM have an address each.

Well, if you're not going to use the 172.24.1.2, how about removing it
altogether? If you use ifconfig to replace the local IP address with the
234.234.234.234, does that work?

If so, you can force pppd to use it a the local IP address, using the
<local>:<remote> syntax.

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>