Unusual RMT question

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Tue Oct 23 21:23:41 EST 2001

Bob Edwards wrote:

> Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> > I was thinking, is there an RMT server that ends up writing to a disk
> > file?
> > I had alook at one RMT server implementation (in 'star') and it seems
> > that this should not be overly hard.
[snip]
> Thought of using rsync? We use it to back up all our linux and solaris
> systems to hard disk on a remote server. Apparently now also available
> for 'doze. Of course, we use samba so that our (few) 'doze boxes save
> everything that counts onto Linux boxes (which then get backed up using

Of course I will use rsync where it is suitable. However, it does not
cut it in many cases. e.g. I need to back up an NT system, with ACLs
and what not. My intent is to use any available backup (free or
commercial) software to get it onto the "backup" machine, onto disk. I
also need to do the same from Linux, Solaris, HP/UX, AIX, AS/400 etc.

And when possible I want to use the native backup facilities, especially
when they provide a DR solution. Some of these solution talk RMT but
will
not work to a file.

Nevertheless, I am open to all ideas. I think what I am trying to do
here is of general interest. If I can back up such a mixed collection
of machines onto one repository (where I will then archive material
to tape for long term and off-site security) then I can see many
making use of such a setup. I effectively am setting up a network
based backup facility that will secure a wide variety of systems.,
but I do not insist on using the same software on all the systems.

For starters I do not extecp to have a DR solution for all cases,
but can surely get data security for most. I will then locate a
better solution for each system that I have when I can.

This RMT is just one idea.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.anu.edu.au/eyal/>