Unusual RMT question

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Tue Oct 23 20:48:27 EST 2001

Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

> Or maybe not.
>
> I am looking at a solution for backing up our whole office to one
> machine that has large disk space. Some systems (e.g. linux) can
> simply tar the whole system to this machine.
>
> Other systems prefer to talk to a remote tape using RMT.
>
> I was thinking, is there an RMT server that ends up writing to a disk
> file?
> I had alook at one RMT server implementation (in 'star') and it seems
> that this should not be overly hard.
>
> Then I was further thinking, maybe it is already done? Anyone knows?
>
> And yes, I do realize that there are extensions used that may be
> problematic (I mean, is there really a generic server that all
> systems can work with?).
>
> --
> Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.anu.edu.au/eyal/>

Thought of using rsync? We use it to back up all our linux and solaris
systems to hard disk on a remote server. Apparently now also available
for 'doze. Of course, we use samba so that our (few) 'doze boxes save
everything that counts onto Linux boxes (which then get backed up using
rsync).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.