Unusual RMT question

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Tue Oct 23 19:52:16 EST 2001

Or maybe not.

I am looking at a solution for backing up our whole office to one
machine that has large disk space. Some systems (e.g. linux) can
simply tar the whole system to this machine.

Other systems prefer to talk to a remote tape using RMT.

I was thinking, is there an RMT server that ends up writing to a disk
file?
I had alook at one RMT server implementation (in 'star') and it seems
that this should not be overly hard.

Then I was further thinking, maybe it is already done? Anyone knows?

And yes, I do realize that there are extensions used that may be
problematic (I mean, is there really a generic server that all
systems can work with?).

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.anu.edu.au/eyal/>