Location of rsyncable linux kernel trees

Matthew Hawkins matthew at topic.com.au
Sat Oct 20 15:38:56 EST 2001

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Brett Worth wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance but what does vger mean?  Is it the standard linux kernel?

vger.rutgers.edu was a venerable old SPARC that hosted just about every
important linux mailing list in existence, plus David Miller's own CVS
repository of the linux kernel, and various other projects.  It died of
old age a few years ago.  RIP.

The vger tree is not the "Linus" tree.  It once was, and probably still
is, used as the development tree for a) SPARC ports of Linux and b) Dave
Miller's networking code and other hacks.

It'd be rare to find a system willing to host a rsync repository of the
unpacked kernel sources, mainly due to the size of the unpacked
repository and the load that rsync puts on the systems.

A few of the top level kernel hackers have been experimenting with
Bitkeeper (http://www.bitkeeper.com/) so you could probably find the
latest code in there (I know Ted T'so has a copy...) but of course it
means pulling the whole tree down initially.  But at least afterwards
you can update just the changes, and take a look at what's changed etc.
with the nifty tools bitkeeper provides.

--
Matt