XTerm strangeness

Matthew Hawkins matthew at topic.com.au
Fri Oct 19 15:00:37 EST 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Brett Worth wrote:
> This is different from the bahaviour on Solaris and on XFree86 on FreeBSD.
> With both of those you do get the extra tab stops after the resize.  This
> is why "ls" in my resized windows have been looking like crap.  Am I
> missing something?

Hi Brett,

This behaviour isn't limited to xterm.  Happens with rxvt also.  The
problem is not tab stops, I believe its simply that the actual terminal
isn't given the resize command, hence although the window is larger, it
still thinks you have the original-sized terminal.

You can see this effect in "ps -awww", or opening a table in the mysql
client that has enough fields to wrap.

I think you have to use "stty" to resize the terminal, then "reset" to
fix this irritating behaviour.  Wash/rinse/repeat every time you resize
the terminal.

--
Matt