Hard disk failure

jeremy at itassist.net.au jeremy at itassist.net.au
Fri Oct 19 13:28:06 EST 2001

While debugging a faulty power pack the computer was abruptly powered
off a few times - once during a fsck of an xfs filesytem.  On reboot,
the partition won't mount.  The superblock is toast, and there are now
some bad blocks on the drive which cause xfs_repair to lock up while
scanning the drive for another superblock.

badblocks can get me a list of the bad blocks, but what do I do with it?
the xfs tools don't have any useful options for dealing with badblocks
and I can't dd this partition because it is 20Gbs.

I suspect the bad blocks may be corrupted low level formatting because
there are none of the usual indications of a head crash.

Can I convince the drive or the IDE driver not to touch those blocks?
Could I low-level format just a small part of the drive?  Or should I
wipe the whole thing and start again.  I will miss 20Gb of data but it
won't ruin my life not having it.

--
I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,